Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Repurpose Vintage Items

One of the best ways to achieve a truly customized look for your home is to use vintage items in new ways.  It's a great way to add layers of history and beauty to your home and bring new life to old items.


In My Home:
I use an antique mirror as a vanity tray in my master bathroom, where I keep my perfume bottles, my husband's cologne, and my crystal ring holder.  I love the antique touch it adds to my otherwise modern bathroom.
Also in my master bathroom, I use an antique picture frame, with paper behind the glass, to place antique perfume bottles that were my great-grandmother's.  I love the layer of family history and beauty it adds.

In my Etsy shop: 
This is a vintage china creamer and sugar bowl from my Etsy shop.  Click on the photo to be directed to it.  Not only can they be used as intended, but they make lovely bud vases.  I just cut these magnolias and lilacs from my garden and placed them on a cobalt blue charger to highlight the china pattern. 
I also repurpose vintage jewelry to create push pins that will upgrade any corkboard to make your display one-of-a-kind.  Click on the photo to be directed to my shop where you can find many options to fit your decor.
I have been lucky enough to find some great vintage milk glass that I also sell in my Etsy shop.  This candy dish, in the highly collectible Argonaut Shell pattern, can be used as intended.
Or in a new way, as a candle holder.
On "Real Simple":
Click on any of the following photos to be directed to Real Simple.  Take your bangle bracelets (the older, the better!) out of your jewelry box and use them for your next dinner party.  What a pretty way to set your table and show your style.

A vintage (or new) cake stand can be repurposed to display candles.
Wrap your gifts in a unique way.  Use vintage newspapers, magazines, or maps as wrapping paper.  Or copy and blow up an appropriate word from the dictionary to wrap your gift.
Here, you will see a ladder used as a rack for newspapers or magazines.  Salvaged ladders can be repurposed as towel racks, end tables, or shoe organizers as well.
For your next party, whether it be a wedding or any special event, use rocks as a guest book.  I have large rocks I collected on the beach as a child to create a vintage collection.  But you can buy polished rocks for formal events.  Or use your child's rock collection for a kids' birthday party. 
Repurposing items is one of my favorite ways to customize your home and live a little more beautifully.
Decorating Insanity

4 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome tips on how to reuse vintage items in your home! Love the candy dispenser idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Love at First Blush! I love your blog and really appreciate your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - your ideas are unique. I really DO love them, especially the mirror idea. I am moving to a new house soon and finally getting my own bathroom. Your mirror ideas will definitely happen there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Teachermum! That was my grandmother's mirror, so not only do I love its look, but it means a lot to me and always reminds me of her. I'm happy you found an idea you can use! :)

    ReplyDelete